upworthy1.jpg

Consider this headline: "This man and woman met after 35 years again. What happened next will shock you." OR "I Thought Cats and dogs Were Enemies. What I Saw Next Made Me Cry". You've seen tired headlines like these, and chances are you've got a friend or two sharing them right now on your Facebook Feed.

Sick and tired of such clickbait from Upworthy and its clones? Don't want your heart to stop seeing a bunch of flowers in technicolor? Don't want to be BLOWN away by that super touching story about a man overcoming obstacles? You can make all this go away when you install Downworthy.

It is a newly created chrome plugin that turns those maddeningly positive headlines into sarcastic and cynical one liners that may fit the story better. Or at least, make them less annoying.

From The Daily Dot:
Created by coder Alison Gianotto, the open-source browser plugin replaces the you-won't-believe-this language of a clickbait headline with more realistic wording for cynics like me. For example, the ubiquitous usage of "one weird trick" is transformed into "one piece of completely anecdotal horseshit," and "go viral" becomes "be overused so much that you'll silently pray for the sweet release of death to make it stop."
Here are some of the changes that happen when you install the plugin:
  • "Literally" becomes "Figuratively"
  • "Will Blow Your Mind" becomes "Might Perhaps Mildly Entertain You For a Moment"
  • "One Weird Trick" becomes "One Piece of Completely Anecdotal Horseshit"
  • "Go Viral" becomes "Be Overused So Much That You'll Silently Pray for the Sweet Release of Death to Make it Stop"
  • "Can't Even Handle" becomes "Can Totally Handle Without Any Significant Issue"
  • "Incredible" becomes "Painfully Ordinary"
  • "You Won't Believe" becomes "In All Likelihood, You'll Believe"
And we love how it's changing headlines to something like this:
  • This Guy Was Exploring His Grandpa's Attic. What He Found Is Mysteriously Probably Less Boring Than Working...Whoa.
  • Does ANYONE Fucking Care About What's Revealed When This Glacier Lake Melts. No One Cares. At All.
  • I Had No Idea This Winter Phenomenon Even Happened. And Now I Can't Stop Looking At It. Oh GOD This Is SO Boring. Please Kill me.
Sick and tired of these types of headlines? Us too.