gopro1.jpg

The power of the Internet strikes again. Reddit user ashinn found a beat up GoPro camera washed ashore on a beach in Huntington Beach, California. It was so rusted and in poor condition, he had to tear it apart to retrieve the SD card.

The files were still readable, so he uploaded them to Dropbox and posted it to a subreddit r/WhatsInThisThing, with the title "I found a GoPro washed up on the beach yesterday. Here are the files. How did it get there?"

User imacgyv0r investigated this and he found this picture of a cat named Toby, which was in the files on a Nikon Forum.

In the Nikon forum, imacgyv0r was able to determine the cat owner's Facebook and LinkedIn profiles, and from there, his email address was easily acquired. Ashinn sent out an email to the guy and this was his reply:
"How interesting! Yes, it appears to be my GoPro. I bought it a while back (just before the 2 was replaced by the original 3, I think), tested it out a few times, but then it sat for a while. My fiance's oldest son was really interested in them and I decided to send mine to him to let him use it and see what he'd capture with it. He took it on a surfing trip at Huntington with friends but it was stolen during the course of the day. What happened to it between then and your discovery of it I can only speculate.
How long ago did you find it? I read through the Reddit thread and it was interesting to see all the clues come together. Would it be possible for you to mail it to me?"
Another lost and found mystery solved! Well done, Internet!