visa1.jpg

Apple's iPhone 5S and Samsung's now revealed Galaxy S5 has a fingerprint scanner. The Galaxy S5 will partner with PayPal to allow payments via fingerprint scanning. It looks like the trend of biometric verification for payment is here, because Visa is now exploring the area too.

"Smartphones equipped with fingerprint scanners are definitely useful. There are all kinds of technologies that we are seeing, and a lot of innovation in this space. We're working with these technologies, and they are all very interesting," said Jon White, Visa's Head of Marketing, Mobile Strategic Alliances.

For the beginning at least, the system would still need to be linked to a mobile device and Visa's challenge is separating mobile device access authentication systems from the payment credentials. Visa want to ensure your bank balance would not be compromised. Which is a good thing of course.

"It's a different consideration between drawing a squiggle to unlock a phone or putting in a four-digit password to access my mobile to what's required to access my bank account," continued White. "Secure management of payment credentials are the priority. I think there will be moves to form partnerships in this space though. That will continue, and we will pursue these technologies, but we need these multiple layers of encryption to preserve customer trust and integrity."

Will this work? It does seem more secure, but a mobile device, is still a mobile device. Hackable perhaps? Nothing is ever so secure. What do you think?