James Franco has responded to rumors that he recently tried to pick up a 17 year-old girl on social media. The rumors began on Thursday, claiming that the actor tried to hit on Lucy Clode, a 17 year-old tourist from Scotland on Instagram.

She posted her alleged conversation with the actor online. Franco went on to Live! with Kelly and Michael to discuss his actions, saying he's embarrassed.

"I was feeling awkward," Franco said. "I guess I'm just a model of how social media is tricky. It's a way people meet each other today. ... You don't know who's on the other end. ... I used bad judgment and I learned my lesson."

Franco has an upcoming movie. and in it he plays a soccer coach who begins a romantic relationship with an underage girl (played by Emma Roberts). The trailer for the film came out on Friday, a day after the news of Franco's scandal. Is this all too coincidental?

Franco's publicity reps did not immediately respond for comment.

Clode's images then indicate that Franco began direct messaging her asking her "You're 18?" to which she responds "nearly 18." The flirting continues though, and Franco asks how long she is staying in New York, if she would meet him and if he should get a hotel room. He also allegedly provided selfies to prove his identity to her.

jamesfranco2.jpg

jamesfranco3.jpg

Franco also took to Twitter Thursday to comment on the rumors.

jamesfranco4.jpg