gospel1.jpg

Was Jesus married? It is a controversial question indeed, and a fragment of papyrus found, refers to Jesus's wife. The Vatican shot it down in 2012, but it has now been tested by scientists at Columbia University, Harvard University and MIT. All are saying that the ink and papyrus are very likely the work of ancient times and not a modern forgery.

Named the "Gospel of Jesus's Wife" by Dr. Karen L. King, a historian at Harvard Divinity School, the piece of papyrus caused a lot of controversy because it contains the phrases:
Jesus said to them, 'My wife...'

And:

[S]he will be able to be my disciple.
First: Jesus had a wife? Second: Women are not allowed to be priests. Which is why the Vatican threw it out of the window.

It has not been proven that Jesus actually had a wife, or female disciples. But scientific tests prove that the papyrus and ink are authentic.
The "Jesus's Wife" papyrus was analyzed at Columbia University using micro-Raman spectroscopy to determine the chemical composition of the ink. James T. Yardley, a professor of electrical engineering, said in an interview that the carbon black ink on this fragment was "perfectly consistent with another 35 or 40 manuscripts that we've looked at," that date from 400 B.C. to A.D. 700 or 800.

At M.I.T.'s Center for Materials Science and Engineering, Timothy M. Swager, a chemistry professor, and two students used infrared spectroscopy to determine whether the ink showed any variations or inconsistencies.
Of course, even with scientific evidence, there are naysayers everywhere. Some will even say that this was written by someone else who might not have had first hand experience. Or it could be pure fiction in the olden times.

Whatever it is, that papyrus is real. Whether or not Jesus had a wife is still a question no one can answer just yet.