Meet Kelsey Ellison. She's got 50,000 subscribers on YouTube and her videos are made in her bedroom. But her videos are shown on Japanese TV. She's a huge star there right now.

She makes videos inspired by Japanese and Korean pop music. All in her bedroom. They attract all kinds of viewers from around the world, most notably Japan.

woman1.png

You can check out the first video she uploaded, which she claims was done out of a dare.

She started getting into JPop and Kpop in 2010, and that's when everything blew up. She says:

It started in 2010 when I was looking for a song from a Japanese anime – I’ve been into anime since I was really young, when Cardcaptor Sakura was aired on kids TV.

I started to really like the J-pop songs in the beginning titles of the shows because they were so different to anything I’d heard before. I then found loads of music videos and people doing dance covers to them on YouTube.

I was so surprised to find a whole community on YouTube of people covering J-pop. From J-pop I found K-pop through related videos on YouTube and really fell in love with the fashion and how cool it is!

She gets a lot of support from her fans in Japan.

This is her single Pom Pom, released in April.

Then, X-Factor folks started taking notice and were keen to get her on TV, but the experience turned sour during the auditions. She created a vlog about her X Factor experience but was asked to take it down. But this is YouTube. It still exists:

But still, despite all that, it's kinda bizarre she's famous in Japan.

She's working on more music currently all from her bedroom.