This is Estie Kung. She's only 8-years-old, and was one of the three Asian children who went on stage during this year's Oscars when Chris Rock made a joke about Asians. There's also, more to this story.

estie1.JPG

Kung is an actress, and she walked out on stage with two little boys dressed in tuxedos as Rock introduced them as accountants for Pricewaterhouse Coopers. He said:

estie2.jpg

“The results of tonight’s Academy Awards have been tabulated by the accounting firm of PricewaterhouseCoopers. They sent us their most dedicated, accurate, and hard-working representatives. I want you to please welcome, Ming Tzu, Bao Ling, and David Moskowitz.”

He then said:

“Yeah. It’s okay, it’s okay, thanks guys, thanks a lot. If anybody’s upset about that joke, just tweet about it on your phone, which was also made by these kids.”

The whole thing was insulting. And Kung's mother found it so. She explained she was made to understand that her daughter's role was made to mimic a skit from Rock's 2005 Oscars ceremony where two accountants were black.

estie4.jpg

“I did wonder, ‘Why all Asians?’ But I assumed there was a bigger picture, a more complex joke given all the emphasis placed on diversity at the Oscars this year.”

She had heard the joke during the Oscars rehearsals, but could not back out already since they've signed a contract.

“Going into every audition or job, I always try to determine the production’s motivation in seeing Asian talent. Often, they are looking at all kids and her race is irrelevant. Other times, I do feel like they need to have a whole ‘rainbow’ of talent, which is fine, but feels more contrived.”

Even celebrities have come out to hit out on the joke.

estie3.png

Almost washed-out black comedian trying to make diversity a point during his opening monologue got scared his white masters wouldn't be offering him new jobs so takes jabs at other races. Good job, Chris Rock. Good job.