bmwi3.jpg

The latest Euro NCAP crash test doesn't have good news for BMW's i3 electric city car. It scored four out of five in the small car category.

The i3's advanced construction made out of carbon fiber isn't enough to satisfy crash scientists at Euro NCAP. The reason? It's not friendly to pedestrians. The occupant's side impact protection could also be improved.
In the side barrier test, the i3 scored maximum points, with good protection of all body regions. In the more severe side pole impact, dummy readings of rib compression indicated that protection of the chest was weak. The front seats and head restraints provided marginal protection against whiplash in the event of a rear-end collision.

The bumper scored maximum points for its protection of pedestrians' legs, with good results in all areas tested. However, the front edge of the bonnet was poor and scored no points. The bonnet provided protection to the head that was predominantly adequate or marginal, with poor results recorded at the base of the windscreen and along the stiff windscreen pillars.
Watch it below: