Cordle_sentencing.jpg

Matthew Cordle admitted to drunk driving in a YouTube confession, which generated millions of views. Today he was sentenced to serve six and a half years in prison.

The 22-year-old admitted that he was under the influence during a fatal accident. The video confession has 2.3 million views, and in it, Cordle begs others not to make the same mistake and promises to take responsibility for his actions.

"Whatever my sentence may be, there's no such thing is a fair sentence when it comes to taking a life," Cordle said, reading a prepared statement during the sentencing hearing.

On June 22, Cordle drove his pickup truck the wrong way on I-670 in Ohio and crashed into Vincent Canzani's Jeep. Canzani, 61, was pronounced dead at the scene, the Columbus Dispatch reported.

"I am so sorry for the pain I caused you for the loved one I have taken from you," Cordle said. "It should have been me that night."

Canzani had two daughters and five grandchildren. One of his daughters, Angela Canzani, spoke at the hearing. She described her father as a loving man who enjoyed photography and exercise. Canzani asked the judge to impose the maximum eight-and-a-half year sentence.

"The message I do not want to send, is that if you hit and kill someone all you have to do is admit to it and you get leniency," she said. "My father got a death sentence and did nothing wrong."

Matthew Cordle contacted the website Because I Said I Would on Aug. 9 to arrange his confession, according to a post on the site.

Check it out below if you haven't.