banan1.jpg

Fancy eating a fresh, organic, "all-natural" banana? Remember this the next time: it is filled with tons of chemicals. But then again, so is everything, actually.

James Kennedy, a chemistry teacher living in Australia, created some fun images to show what chemicals are inside your favorite foods, even the "organic" unprocessed ones.

He explains that the hype around words like "natural" is mostly marketing.
Some people care about different ingredients such as "E-numbers". I made this graphic to demonstrate how "natural" products (such as a banana) contain scary-looking ingredients as well. All the ingredients on this list are 100% natural in a non-GM banana. None of them are pesticides, fertilisers, insecticides or other contaminants.

There's a tendency for advertisers to use the words "pure" and "simple" to describe "natural" products when they couldn't be more wrong. With this diagram, I want to demonstrate that "natural" products are usually more complicated than anything we can create in the lab. For brevity's sake, I omitted the thousands of minority ingredients found in a banana, including DNA.
banan2.jpg