There's a little bit of hoarder in all of us. We don't always find it easy to let go of the things we've paid hard-earned money for, even when they've begun to outstay their welcome. Besides, just because they don't appear to be of any use right now doesn't mean they never will again, right? If, like me, you're one of those people, I bet you've found that your home has become inundated with objects you don't need, but don't yet want to part with.

So, what's the solution? You can't have your home littered with junk. And likewise, you can't continue to amass shiny new things with nowhere for them to go. You don't necessarily need to start grabbing handfuls of your old stuff and throwing them in the trash. No. Rather, you just need to get a little creative in your thinking. There are plenty of space-conscious and modern ways to store your belongings, and here are some of our favourites.

bath1.jpg
www.Pixabay.com

Bathroom Cabinet

I bet you've already got a mirror hanging over your bathroom sink, haven't you? Don't worry, I won't assume that you're incredibly vain! We all have them. But wouldn't that space be better used with a medicine cabinet? That way, you still have your mirrored doors, but also somewhere to stash all your unsightly bathroom accessories. Toothbrush, mouthwash, medicine. You name it. Nobody wants to look at that while they're soaking in the tub. Hide it away!

Hanging Baskets

Okay, so you might not have much room left on the ground, but what about above your head? Take a look. All that wall and ceiling space could be put to better use with these hanging baskets, couldn't it? Not only do they look great, but they'll keep all your random junk out of the way and within an arm's reach should you need them. Just be careful to mind your head when walking past!

Home Cinema

We all love huge entertainment centers, right? There's nothing better than chilling out in front of the big screen after a hard day. Lights off, surround sound on, and you're ready to go. But there could be an added benefit you hadn't yet thought of. A lot of the time, these home entertainment centres come with cabinet and drawer space. That's ideal for storing all your DVDs, video games and even remote controls.

bath2.jpg
www.Flickr.com

In the Porch

Quite often, modern homes are built with an entry passage or porch-way. If you're the type of person that insists your guests remove their shoes on arrival (hello, cream carpets), this could be the solution for you. Think about it. That space isn't getting much use anyway, is it? It's more than likely just for show. Change that, and you could be well on your way to an ideal shoe storage solution. You can easily build your own shoe rack with pegs to keep everything neat and tidy. And best of all? You don't have to worry about anyone traipsing mud through your home!

bath3.jpg
www.Flickr.com

Kitchen Rails

You probably see them in the movies all the time, and yet the thought has never even crossed your mind. If your kitchen cupboards are filled with pots, pans, and utensils, that's taking up valuable space. Not to mention that fumbling and looking around in drawers can be a drag while you're trying to crack on with dinner.

Well, it's time to do something about it. Fitting a rail to your kitchen wall can be the ideal place to hang all your large utensils. You know what that means? You'll save space, they're all within reach, and you can put your kitchen cupboards to better use. That's three birds with one stone, let alone two!

If you've got an 'island' in your kitchen, the space above there is an incredibly popular place to hang pots and pans safely and securely.

Storage Containers

Okay, this may seem like a fairly obvious inclusion, but bear with me here. Throwing stuff in a big old container is just about the oldest method for storing a lot of items in a small space. They're great; I use them all the time. But where do you store the storage? That's when you end up with boxes piled on top of each other, and it can get a little unsightly. Check out this collapsible storage bin. It could just be the answer to all your prayers. When not in use, you can just fold it up and keep it hidden out the way!

bath4.jpg
www.Flickr.com

Under the Bed

I bet you've noticed, if you've recently been in the market for a new bed, that plenty of modern beds come with their own in-built storage solutions. More often than not, beds today come with their own subtle storage space built underneath your regular framework. This can include pull out draws, or, more cleverly, pop-up mattresses. And it makes sense, right? Your bed takes up a pretty sizeable portion of your bedroom. It's only common sense to utilize the space underneath.

If you've bought a bed that wasn't blessed with such an ingenious design, however, do not fear. As always, there's a 'Do It Yourself' option here. If you've got the skills and the smarts, you can craft your very own below-the-bed storage solution out of an old wardrobe. All you need are the right tools, application and know-how. If you have more than one bedroom in your home, that adds up to an awful lot of space you can make good use of. You may have just found the ideal place to stow away all your shoes, old clothes or kids' toys!

bath5.jpg
www.Flickr.com

Walk-In Wardrobe

This behemoth of storage space needs no introduction. Don't we all dream of having our own walk-in wardrobe space. You might think it's just a luxury, but in actuality, it could be a necessary storage solution. They're more efficient for saving space, to begin with, and often larger than regular wardrobes. Without, it must be said, compromising on the size of your room. That's only going to leave you with more space in your bedroom for some other storage solutions! Win-win.

This post was brought to you by Bank Rakyat's My 1st Home Scheme.

Own your first home with 105% financing including MRTT and win a prize of your choice worth RM50,000 with Bank Rakyat's My 1st Home Scheme.

Only two winners will be picked and they can choose between free renovation, furniture, or free installment for a year. Check here for more information and conditions.

Terms and Conditions:
1. Open to approved customers who apply for Bank Rakyat's Pembiayaan Perumahan-i My 1st Home Scheme only
2. Customers who are approved will need to submit their application to the contest via SMS to this number: 66300 with these details:
"DREAMHF <IC Number> <prize of choice>
3. The campaign will run from 26 October to 31 December 2015.