namemydaughter1.jpg

It is never a good idea to let the Internet name your kid. Not that it doesn't have any ideas. It has too many! And that's the problem. A Canadian couple's baby girl might bear the name Megatron Doge if it were up to the creative minds of the Internets.

Stephen McLaughlin, who describes himself as a "software developer, amateur baby namer and parent" in his Twitter bio, recently launched a website called NameMyDaughter.com. Internet users can vote for his unborn daughter's first and middle names.

My name is Stephen and much to the disbelief of my wife, I have decided to let the Internet name* my daughter," McLaughlin wrote on the site.

The asterisk in the statement indicates that the couple is reserving the right to make the final decision. Well, guess what. Good for them. But why do this stunt in the first place? The Internet might as well vote for Cthulhu and Streetlamp salad since no one is getting some real say anyway.

By some form of rigging, we suspect, the leading candidate is Amelia Mae behind Cthulhu and LaQuisha, and is one ahead of Megatron.

Current runners-up for the baby's middle name include All-Spark, Rose, Le-Dash-A, Pond, Salad and Doge.

Users can submit names to NameMyDaughter.com and vote for as many names as they want, once per day.

Could this end to be just another attention seeking stunt, and end up wasting people's time altogether? We'll see.