We've heard one too many romantic stories of people quitting their jobs to see the world. Head out for adventure and leave that 9 to 5 behind because life is short, right? Chanel Cartell and Stevo Dirnberger made headlines when they left their stable advertising jobs to travel the world.

They set up a blog called "How Far From Home."

And since starting it, they've posted a ton of beautiful photos of locations from all around the world.

Seems like a fantasy, and if you've got wanderlust, you should totally do it!

But they want the people that feel inspired by their act to know something: it's not all that great, because traveling still requires money.

And they aren't doing yoga on the beach everyday. Instead, they're scrubbing out toilets for cash.

Cartell wrote in a blog post that she and Dirnberger realized that their trips are not telling the full story.

“And don’t get me wrong – we are. It’s bloody amazing. But it’s not all ice-creams in the sun and pretty landscapes.”

She wrote:

So far, I think we’ve tallied 135 toilets scrubbed, 250 kilos of cow dung spread, 2 tons of rocks shovelled, 60 metres of pathway laid, 57 beds made, and I cannot even remember how many wine glasses we’ve polished.

You see, to come from the luxuries we left behind in Johannesburg, to the brutal truth of volunteer work, we are now on the opposite end of the scale. We’re toilet cleaners, dog poop scoopers, grocery store merchandisers, and rock shovelers.

Budget gets tight most of the time.

Whilst visits to town with our new friends in Norway meant buying beer and bags of candy for them, we’ve been forced to purchase floss (because you only get one set of pearlers, right?) and nothing else. The budget is really tight, and we are definitely forced to use creativity (and small pep talks) to solve most of our problems (and the mild crying fits).

It's an entirely different lifestyle from what you might have imagined.

I am not at my fittest, slimmest or physically healthiest. We eat jam on crackers most days, get roughly 5hrs of sleep per night, and lug our extremely heavy bags through cobbled streets at 1am, trying to find our accommodation (because bus fares are not part of the budget, obviously).

Still, it's an experience they'll remember forever.