Not all billionaires are interested in spending their entire fortune living the high life. Some are so dedicated to charity, that they've even pledged to give away most of the money, even if it means that their own children won't be living large off their inheritances.

Microsoft founder and CEO Bill Gates

microsoft_founder_and_ceo_bill_gates.jpg
He might be one of the richest people in the world, but Bill and his wife Melinda are more insterested in giving away his assets (worth an estimated $37 billion dollars) instead of keeping it to themselves or their three children. Back in 2010, he was quoted saying "I knew I didn't think it was a good idea to give the money to my kids. That wouldn't be good either for my kids or society."  After founding the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in 1994, the couple started "The Giving Pledge," which invites other wealthy individuals to join the Gates' lead and donate half their money to charity.

Warren Buffett

business_magnate_warren_buffett.jpg
The incredibly wealthy investor and philanthropist has promised to give away 83% of his fortune to the Gates Foundation. In his letter to the foundation, Warren stated that "I want to give my kids just enough so that they would feel that they could do anything, but not so much that they would feel like doing nothing."

EBay founder Pierre Omidyar
ebay_founder_pierre_omidyar.jpg
A billionaire by the time he was just 31, the eBay founder has made it his life's work to donate the majority of his money to those less fortunate instead of to his three children. He signed the Giving Pledge in 2010, and continuously gives eBay shares to the Omidyar Network, his philanthropic investment firm. He and his wife Pam are also the single biggest private donors to the fight against the human trafficking industry.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg

new_york_city_mayor_michael_bloomberg.jpg
He might have a net worth of $19.5 billion, but Bloomberg claims he only gets paid $1 a year for his government duties. This avid philanthropist has famously donated millions to Johns Hopkins University, the Carnegie Corporation, and thousands of other non-profits. A member of the Giving Pledge, Bloomberg wrote in his letter that "nearly all of my net worth will be given away in the years ahead or left to my foundation." His two daughters may even have to foot the bill upon his death, as he once said "the best financial planning ends with bouncing the check to the undertaker."

Rockstar Gene Simmons

rockstar_gene_simmons.jpg
Born in Israel before moving to Queens with his mother, this self-made man started KISS, a band which would end up one of the best-selling American bands of all time, compiling 28 gold records over the years. Simmons has stated that he wants his two kids to also find their own way. He told CNBC several years ago: "...in terms of an inheritance and stuff, they're gonna be taken care of, but they will never be rich off my money. Because every year they should be forced to get up out of bed, and go out and work and make their own way."

Australian iron magnate Gina Rinehart
australian_iron_magnate_gina_rinehart.jpg
Deemed 'the richest woman in Australia', Rinehart inherited her company and fortune from her father Lang Hancock. While her four children were named in his estate, she now wants to cut them out of their inheritance as she doesn't believe they are fit to manage the family fortune. She once claimed in court papers “None of the plaintiffs has the requisite capacity or skill, nor the knowledge, experience, judgment or responsible work ethic to administer a trust in the nature of the trust in particular as part of the growing HPPL Group.”

Actor Jackie Chan

actor_jackie_chan.jpg
Back in 2011, the international movie star made headlines after announcing that he had decided to give away half his money to charity when he dies, instead of just leaving the millions of dollars to his son Jaycee. Chan was quoted saying "If he is capable, he can make his own money. If he is not, then he will just be wasting my money."

Home Depot co-founder Bernard Marcus

home_depot_co_founder_bernard_marcus.jpg
Born in Newark, New Jersey to Russian immigrant parents, the founder of Home Depot has a net worth of $1.5 billion. He once told Forbes that he plans on giving the majority of his Home Depot stock to his foundation, which benefits the handicapped and education. His other philanthropic efforts include funding the Georgia Aquarium.

Businessman Chuck Feeney

businessman_chuck_feeney.jpg
The co-founder of Duty-Free Shoppers Group was one of the world's billionaires in the late 1980s, until he transferred all that wealth to his Atlantic Philanthropies foundation. He also went to great lengths to teach his children the value of saving money (making them use payphones, work during their vacations, work through college) before giving away their inheritance.

British Chef Nigella Lawson

british_chef_nigella_lawson.jpg
This best-selling author and TV personality comes from a wealthy background, but Lawson seems to be a firm believer in not giving her two children that same advantage. She was criticised for saying "I am determined that my children should have no financial security. It ruins people not having to earn money." She later followed up that statement by saying she didn't plan on leaving her kids "destitute," but stood by the idea that they would have to support themselves after school ended.

Media mogul Ted Turner

media_mogul_ted_turner.jpg
This prominent philanthropist is the founder of media outlets like CNN and TBS, and is just as famous for giving away money as he is for making it to causes like the United Nations Foundation. Turner has five children from three marriages, but in 2010, he was quoted saying that he was "almost to the edge of poverty" and just wants enough money to cover funeral expenses when he dies.

Hedge fund manager John Arnold

hedge_fund_manager_john_arnold.jpg
In October 2013, the American billionaire and former hedge fund manager of Centaurus Energy officially retired after amassing an estimated wealth of $4 billion over the last 10 years. Together with his wife Laura, the couple have now decided to dedicate the rest of their lives giving away that wealth through their foundation to support innovative ideas. As for what will be left for their three children, Laura revealed, "Because of our backgrounds and because of our own experiences, we just don't believe in dynastic wealth."

British composer Andrew Lloyd Webber

british_composer_andrew_lloyd_webber.jpg
Webber plans to use his fortune to encourage teaching the arts. While his five children will be "taken care of," a majority of the estate will go towards arts programs. This millionaire theater composer once said that "(A will) is one thing you do start to think about when you get to my age. I don't think it should be about having a whole load of rich children and grandchildren. I think it should be used as a way to encourage the arts." 

Director and producer George Lucas

director_and_producer_george_lucas.jpg
When the director and father of four joined Giving Pledge back in July of 2010, he wrote in his pledge letter “I am dedicating the majority of my wealth to improving education.” He also promised to donate the $4 billion+ Disney paid him to acquire Lucas Films to charity as well.

Texas oil and gas magnate T. Boone Pickens

texas_oil_and_gas_magnate_t_boone_pickens.jpg
From delivering newspapers to taking over Gulf Oil, this corporate raider now has a net worth of $1.4 billion. And he plans to donate at least half of it to charity.  As for his kids' inheritence, he says "I've long stated that I enjoy making money, and I enjoy giving it away...I'm not a big fan of inherited wealth. It generally does more harm than good."