3025480_poster_p_apple_days.jpg
Here are some images of life at Apple's first office in 1977, where Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak were at the helm of a small team building the Apple II computer.

Mark Johnson had just graduated high school when he joined the team. His job was to help assemble the computers. “When I had heard of computers in 1977, I was imagining IBM computers, being room-sized. When I saw the Apple II, I was amazed! It was small, about the size of computer laptops today. And it was on a floppy disc.”

3025480_inline_s_appledays1.jpg
Pic: Johnson is farthest to the back, near Steve Jobs, who is fourth in from the right

Johnson and another employee, Robert Martinengo, assembled each machine and boxed it up for UPS by hand. “We were putting together seven to 10 computers a day. It was very slow paced at the time, and it was actually like a family operation.”

Johnson snapped these photographs when the young team was celebrating a shipment of Apple II computers. “It was monumental,” he says. “We had built 57 computers in one week. That was the most that the company had ever produced thus far in one week."

The office space seen in the background is quite unremarkable: a lobby, desks, sparse, eggshell walls - a shoebox compared to their campus currently under construction in Cupertino.

“Everyone started buying computers; they moved so fast after that,” Johnson says. “The early days were very peaceful and slow. They were standard workdays, where everybody got along like brothers and sisters. There was no arguing; we were all focused on creating a good product.”

3025480_inline_s_appledays2.jpg
Pic: Johnson, second to the left