There are bountiful ideas of what people should do before they die. If your list consists of smelling a flower, trying a really strange cocktail, or visiting a local temple, then you won't have to crack your skull.
But if your dreams involve traveling the world to dip yourself in other cultures, then you're going to need a lot of time and money, and proper planning. Spread your bucket list over the years, and you'll be able to achieve some great experiences in your lifetime.
Here are 50 things I'd really like to do before I die:
1. Attend a Goo Goo Dolls concert. 2. Do the 134m Nevis Bungee jump in Queenstown, New Zealand. 3. See the Aurora Borealis from the deck of an Arctic cruise liner. 4. Witness the annual wildebeest migration on the Serengeti plains. 5. Fingers entwined with a lover’s; run into the Shinkansen with ‘Lovers in Japan’ playing (probably on earphones, but it'll do). 6. Order a Bellini at Harry’s Bar, Venice. 7. Attend a World Cup football final. 8. Dive in Dean’s Blue Hole in the Bahamas.
9. Chat up a Scarlett doppelgänger at the New York Bar in Park Hyatt Hotel, Tokyo. 10. Gaze upon the interior of the Sistine Chapel. 11. Watch the ‘Phantom of the Opera’ musical at Her Majesty’s Theatre, London. 12. Watch the Palio di Siena, in Sienna, Italy.
13. See the Galápagos Islands, Ecuador. 14. Have magic mushrooms in an Amsterdam coffee shop. 15. Go for the Naadam Festival in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. 16. Play a single hand of high-stakes baccarat at the Monte Carlo Casino in Monaco. 17. Drive a Porsche 911 down an ‘autobahn’ in Germany. 18. Spend a night at the Aoraki Mackenzie Dark Sky Reserve, New Zealand. 19. Dine at a 3 star Michelin restaurant. 20. Empty an AK-47 clip on full automatic. 21. Open a Swiss bank account in Zurich; in person. 22. Kiss someone I love at the foot of the stairs running up the Montmartre Hill, Paris. 23. Toss a coin; right hand over the left shoulder into the Trevi Fountain in Rome. 24. Wait for a girl at the top of the Empire State Building at dusk. 25. Attend the Oberammergau Passion Play in Bavaria, Germany. 26. Learn how to fly a plane. 27. Bring a DLSR to the banks of Loch Ness at the Scottish Highlands; and wait.
28. Make it to the South Base Camp in Nepal. 29. Climb the battlements of Fort Saint Elmo in Valletta, Malta. 30. Trek the Four-day Inca Trail to Machu Picchu in Peru. 31. Reach the base of Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. 32. Attend Mardi Gras in New Orleans, USA.
33. Purchase a bespoke suit from Savile Row, London. 34. Attend a Christie’s art auction. 35. Watch an All Blacks game in New Zealand. 36. Say a prayer at the Dome of the Rock, Jerusalem.
37. Kiss the Blarney Stone in Cork, Ireland. 38. Fly first class on a 15+ hour flight. 39. Order a frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity 3 in New York and hope Kate Beckinsale walks in. 40. Go snorkeling in Jellyfish Lake, Palau. 41. Watch an opera at the Vienna Opera House; from the box. 42. Have a surfing lesson at the North Shore, O’ahu Island, Hawaii. 43. Jauntily wave my USD towards the North Korean side of the DMZ. 44. Go fly fishing for salmon in the Campbell River, British Columbia, Canada. 45. Celebrate New Year’s in Samoa, get to American Samoa and repeat; 25 hours later. 46. Catch a Europe-Asia ferry through the Bhosphorus Strait in Istanbul, Turkey.
47. Have a glass of ouzo on the cliffs of Santorini, Greece. 48. Be chauffeur-driven in a Rolls Royce Phantom or Bentley Continental Flying Spur. 49. See ‘The Little Mermaid’ statue in Copenhagen, Denmark. 50. Participate in the No-Limit Hold’em Main Event of the World Series of Poker in Las Vegas.
What's on your list of 50 things to do before you die?