napking_notes_dad_1.jpg

Here's a story you're bound to find on sites like Upworthy later on. W. Garth Callaghan is dying, but he doesn't know how long he has to live. So he's decided that he will handwrite notes for his daughter. He plans to have them tucked into her lunchbox each day until she graduates.

Callaghan has leaned that he has an 8% chance that he will live longer than five years after receiving three cancer diagnoses since 2011. He's taking every chance to connect with his daughter Emma now.

Armed with a stack of napkins and a ballpoint pen, he started Napkin Notes, a project that documents the daily messages he's slipped into Emma's lunchbox since she started second grade.

"She does love Napkin Notes and looks forward to them each day". "She has friends that are jealous of her notes. I am just thankful with the fact that she feels comfortable enough with her own self and shares them with friends."

Callaghan has also teamed up with Because I Said I Would, a nonprofit organization dedicated to making and keeping promises. His promise: To write enough notes of encouragement to last Emma through twelfth grade.

He has already written 740 notes with only 86 to go. Emma still doesn't know about the 826 notes.

"I am sure that I will have to have that discussion with her soon, but honestly, we don't talk about cancer statistics in our home, and I don't want her to focus on that."

Check out a few of Callaghan's uplifting Napkin Notes below, and his project on Facebook.

napking_notes_dad_5.jpgnapking_notes_dad_6.jpgnapkin_notes_dad.jpgnapkin_notes_dad_2.jpgnapkin_notes_dad_3.jpgnapkin_notes_dad_4.jpg