Artists Gisella Velasco and Toni Potenciano have been pairing classic paintings by famous painters and hip hop lyrics by contemporary musicians since December 2013.

Some of the art pieces are the works of Leonardo da Vinci, Matisse, and Dali, and the lyrics are from popular songs by musicians such as Kanye West, Snoop Dogg, and Beyonce, amongst others. The marriage of the paintings and lyrics are surprisingly amusing:

Follow the ongoing project on Tumblr.

paintings_hip_hop.jpg
Mona Lisa, Leonardo da Vinci (c.1503) / Super Bass, Nicki Minaj

paintings_hip_hop_1.jpg
The Birth of Venus (1486), Sandro Botticelli / ***Flawless, Beyonce ft. Chimamanda Ngozie Adiche

paintings_hip_hop_2.jpg
Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Luncheon of the Boating Party (1881) / Super Rich Kids, Frank Ocean

paintings_hip_hop_3.jpg
Dancers practicing at the barre (1877), Edgar Degas / Fergalicious, Fergie feat. Will.i.am

paintings_hip_hop_4.jpg
A Lady Writing a Letter, with her Maid (c.1670), Johannes Vermeer / Otis, Jay-Z, Kanye West feat. Otis Redding

paintings_hip_hop_5.jpg
The first coat (1892), Vladimir Makovsky / American Boy, Estelle feat. Kanye West

paintings_hip_hop_6.jpg
The Family of Henry VIII (c. 1572), Lucas de Heere / Big Poppa, The Notorious B.I.G.

paintings_hip_hop_7.jpg
Noli Me Tangere (1442), Fra Angelico / U Can’t Touch This, MC Hammer

paintings_hip_hop_8.jpg
Phaedra, Alexandre Cabanel (1880) / Bitch, Don’t Kill My Vibe, Kendrick Lamar

paintings_hip_hop_9.jpg
The Persistence of Memory (1931), Salvador Dali / Ms. Jackson, Outkast

paintings_hip_hop_10.jpg
The Ascension (1775), John Singleton Copley / Touch The Sky, Kanye West ft. Lupe Fiasco

paintings_hip_hop_11.jpg
Antoine-François Callet, King Louis XVI (1754-1793) / C.R.E.A.M., Wu-Tang Clan

paintings_hip_hop_12.jpg
The Death of Marat, Jacques-Louis David (1793) / N.Y. State of Mind, NaS

paintings_hip_hop_13.jpg
Love’s Shadow (1887), Frederick Sandys / Ring the Alarm, Beyonce

paintings_hip_hop_14.jpg
Hell (1450), Dirk Bouts / Drop It Like It’s Hot, Snoop Dogg feat. Pharell Williams

paintings_hip_hop_15.jpg
Icarus and Daedalus (c. 1869), Frederic Leighton / Pretty Fly (For a White Guy), The Offspring

paintings_hip_hop_16.jpg
L’Absinthe (1876), Edgar Degas / Gin and Juice, Snoop Dogg

paintings_hip_hop_17.jpg
Louis XIV (1701), Hyacinthe Rigaud / Tom Ford, Jay-Z ft. Beyonce

paintings_hip_hop_18.jpg
Pelt Merchant of Cairo (1869), Jean-Leon Gerome / Cold.1, G.O.O.D. Music feat. Kanye West & DJ Khaled

paintings_hip_hop_19.jpg
La Coiffure (1901), Henri Matisse / Rocket, Beyonce