matt_farley.jpg
Matt Farley used 60 different monikers and band names to release about 14,000 short, ridiculous and often-improvised songs on Spotify and iTunes about everything from sports teams to birthdays, earning himself $23,000 in the last year, according to a BDCwire story.

Farley is basically spamming these services by flooding the market with so many songs containing popular keywords that other users eventually find them and listen. And when they do, they're making Farley some decent money.

He has songs called "Amanda Knox Is Not Guilty," "Mike Daisey, Why You Gotta Tell Lies To Ira Glass?" and "Music Writer Mark Richardson Blocked Me On Twitter."

Here's a lyrical example from his Amanda Knox ballad: "Everyone knows that the Italian police are buffoons / They see someone from another country and assume that they are criminals / Amanda Knox would never hurt anybody, she is perfect in every way."

It costs Farley $50 per album that he releases, but he packs each album with up to 100 songs, to increase his chances of making that money back. He says that 90% of his albums have earned more than their $50 cost. One of his techniques is to take a simple formula - like a birthday song - and sub in a hundred of different names.

"I did a series of prom songs. A '________, Will You Go to the Prom with Me?' song for 500 different girl names,” Farley told BDCwire. “I named the band 'How To Ask a Girl to the Prom,' with the album titles being 'Play This Song For Her Vol. 1-5.' But I was told that online music stores don’t like band names that describe the music so plainly.  So I renamed them The Prom Song Singers."

He told reporter Ryan Walsh that recording those types of songs is "not fun at all," but that they're the kind of thing that would likely bring in money when random people get excited to find songs that contained their name.

But for all his thousands of pointless, jokey, spam songs, Farley also has more than 100 completely earnest compositions released from his serious band, Moes Haven.